The Union Flag

The national flag of the United Kingdom is worn as a Jack at the bow by all HM ships in commission when alongside or when 'dressed overall'.

This is the only occasion when it is correctly called the Union Jack , although it is generally known by this name through common usage.


The cover over of the hawespipe to prevent water coming up is called a jackass - remember that next time you watch MTV.